My babies

My babies

Friday, October 14, 2011

Letters to Sam

Dear Baby Sam,


You are one deeply loved little baby, and you aren't even born yet. But you are a blessing to your whole family. These letters are from the heart of your mother to a baby she wishes to meet one day, hopefully on this earth in 15 weeks.

When the Lord let Daddy and I know that you needed to come to our family he also let me know you'd be a sweet boy with serious health problems. We were very nervous but knew you were the Lords child first.

When I was 13 weeks along, and on daddy's birthday, we found out some not so happy news about your health. So, the next day we went to a special Doctor that knows a lot about this stuff and we had more tests done. After one easy test and one not so easy test we found out that you have a chromosome abnormality. It's called Trisomy 18 which means there are 3 chromosomes in the 18th spot instead of 2. The doctors informed us that you only had a 10% chance of making it to a live birth and it was very unlikely that you would live past a year if you had a live birth. It turns out that that small little extra chromosome can cause real damage to a sweet little boy like you.

You are obviously more special than we every could have imaged. What a blessing to our family you are. My Doctor has never really dealt with this much since I guess when most mommies and daddies find out about it they decide to stop being pregnant. They really miss out on an angel like you.

We know that the Lord can heal but sometimes that is not the plan. Sometimes a person's mission does not include taking a breath. Sometimes a life is only meant to be for a few days or hours. Even though our sadness is great we know you are the child that was meant for our family. This is God's plan and we are so greatful to be part of it.

LOVE YOU GREATLY, MOMMY

www.trisomy18.org

6 comments:

Unknown said...

You know you are such an example for me and strength. This little boy is lucky :)
Hugs

Janice said...

Wow. Your son is so lucky to come to you and your family.

EMac said...

That was so beautiful!! You are a wonderful mommy! He is very blessed to have you and Ben. Love you!

KB said...

Mindy, you are constantly on my mind and in my heart. I admire your strength and love. That is exactly why the Lord chose you as Sam's parents. All of our love to you, Ben and the entire family.

Mary said...

Lots of love to you guys. We are thinking of you often here.

Lorin said...

Oh, I miss you guys so much! That was really beautiful and I miss you guys SO MUCH!


~Lorin , :D